The Importance Of Shoring
Some of the most crucial aspects of construction aren’t permanent. In many cases, temporary measures are required to help make the process of building safer, faster and more convenient.
One of the most important of these measures is shoring. In hilly areas or on job sites where the work takes place against the property line, shoring helps improve the stability and safety of the project. Here are some of the reasons it’s so vital to the success of many projects.
The Various Forms of Shoring
- Soldier piles and lagging — This process involves inserting vertical steelbeams into the soil with wood lagging walls inserted between them to hold the soil in place and prevent it from shifting. Together they form a barrier against excessive ground pressure. For a more permanent fix, steel or concrete walls can be used.
- Tiebacks — Whether driven into the ground or screwed in, tiebacks are used to anchor a wall to the earth in order to prevent it from shifting in response to changes in the surrounding soil.
- Soil nailing – is an earth retention technique commonly used to support retaining walls, stabilize slopes, and for excavation support.
Why Shoring Matters So Much
The need for advanced shoring techniques has become much more necessary in recent years as urban space commands a higher premium and architects push the boundaries to build closer to property lines. But even in its most basic form, shoring serves a number of vital functions on a job site. Its many benefits include:
- Enhanced safety — The construction of basements and foundations requires excavation. Protecting the workers in those temporary trenches and holes calls for shoring. By holding the earthen walls up and preventing collapses, it ensures a safer work site.
- Expedited scheduling — Having to dig out a site twice means costly delays that can throw a contactor off schedule. Similarly, crew members who aren’t preoccupied with concerns for their personal safety will be less likely to make errors that can result in lost time.
- Lower costs — It’s much easier for builders to remain on budget when they don’t have to face the possibility of collapsed excavations.
A Recognized Leader
As a recognized leader in the Southeast for shoring and many other services related to foundation construction and repairs, Foundation Repair Services has helped countless residential and commercial customers successfully complete their projects.
Turn to the Experts
At Foundation Repair Services, we have the experience you need to make sure your project is completed safely and efficiently. For further information about what we can do for you, call (704) 545-0206 today.